Items

Image Title Description Date Tags
Thumb Flexible labour at Mellor Mill Brief notes on flexible nature of workforce in late 1790s, detailing Oldknow's ability to provide outdoor work for his employees during quiet spel... Unknown gardenmellor lodgedocumentflexible labourmellor mill
Thumb Casual labour at Mellor Mill Brief notes on background to nature of casual labour in mills in late 18th century with specific numbers given for Mellor Mill. Unknown wages listscasual labourdocumentmellor mill
Thumb Inward migration of labour to Mellor Mill Brief notes on background to movement of labour from south and east of England to northern counties between 1835 - 1837 to meet demand for workforc... Unknown labourmigrationJohn BeardCranfieldworkforcedocumentmellor mill
Thumb Apprentice numbers at Mellor Mill .Brief notes on numbers of apprentices at Mellor Mill in 1794-4. Summary of information from book 'Labour Migration' (author and publication detail... Unknown documentlabourmellor millapprentices
Thumb Charms of Roman lakes Partial copy of article from North Cheshire Herald July 1905 recounting the charm and picturesque quality of boating at the Roman lakes, and the id... From 1 Jul 1905 to 31 Jul 1905 north cheshire heraldpress articleroman lakes
Thumb Information on Marple Landslip 1893 Update by Warwick Burton in 1980 to book "Railways of Marple and District" published 1794. Gives details of the Marple Landslip in December 1893 be... From 1 Jan 1980 to 31 Dec 1980 documentrailwaymarple lodgelandslip
Thumb Reference section enlarged plan of Mellor Mill Index for Mellor Mill Plan Hand written list From 1 Jan 1867 to 31 Dec 1867 buildingsroomsmellor millplan
Thumb Extract from Farey's 'Derbyshire' 1813 Extracts from Volume 2 of Farey's 'Derbyshire' 1813. Contains references to the use of lime as a fertiliser by farmers in Marple area, and also to ... From 1 Jan 1813 to 1 Dec 1813 documentfarmlandirrigationmellor millfertiliserlime
Thumb Enlarged Plan of Mellor Mill 1867 Scale 40 feet to an inch Black and white line plan of the Mellor Mill site From 1 Jan 1867 to 31 Dec 1867 drawingplanmellor mill
Thumb Press article on new book about Samuel Oldknow Newspaper cutting about the launch of Hilary Atkinson's new book on the life of Samuel Oldknow (Marple Review Autumn 2016). From 1 Sep 2016 to 30 Nov 2016 bookdocumenthilary atkinsonsamuel oldknowpress article
Thumb Mellor Mill Stone Ornamental stone from Mellor Mill set into wall of Chapel House Farm on Brickbridge Road. Stone shows initials SO and the remains of a date ending ... Unknown photo samuel oldknowchapel house farmmellor millornamental stone
Thumb Mellor Mill Counting House Facade Isometric view of Mellor Mill counting house. By M F Melia. Unknown counting houseisometric viewmellor mill drawings
Thumb Portrait of Samuel Oldknow (pen and ink) Pen and ink portrait of Samuel Oldknow. Provenance unknown. Unknown portraitsamuel oldknow
Thumb Interviews with factory workers Notes taken from interviews with workers at John Clayton's Mellor Mill in 1826. Workers had been moved from Cranfield in Bedfordshire, the home tow... From 1 Jan 1826 to 31 Dec 1826 Rev John Beardworkforcedocumentmellor millliving conditionsmeatinterviews
Thumb Floodgates At this point on the river Oldknow built a weir. From above the weir water could be diverted to the mill ponds as required. The water was controll... Unknown floodgates cottageedwardian clothingtea roomsrailway
Thumb "Roman Lake" from NE The "Roman Lake" was originally made as a water supply for Samuel Oldknow's Mellor Mill. It is now used for pleasure boating; The three white dots ... 10 Apr 1987 strines roadGoytroman lakes
Thumb Bottoms Hall Farm from E Bottoms Hall farm buildings in the foreground with the Hall itself behind. The river Goyt and Strines Road can be seen beyond 10 Apr 1987 farmingstrines roadGoytbottoms hall
Thumb Top Lock Bridge Bridge over Macclesfield canal at junction with Peak Forest Canal, Marple Unknown marplemarple lockspeak forest canalmacclesfield canal
Thumb Willow Walk: Lakes, Marple Postcard showing a group of people under a tree on the path by the Roman Lake, Marple, which was known as "Willow walk" . From 1 Jan 1901 to 31 Dec 1913 willowoldknows poolmarple
Thumb Photograph of the boatyard at Lock 16 From 1840 to about 1935 the boatyard was operated by the Jinks family, who lived at Top Lock House. On a larger copy of the old photograph below, t... Unknown boatyardjinksgeneral smithmarple lockslock 16
Thumb Commemorative plaque design based on Lock 14 It was the photograph of Lock 14 below, looking in the opposite direction towards Lock 15, that we used to create the design for a brass plaque to ... From 1 Jan 2004 to 31 Dec 2004 bicentenarycommemerative plaquemarple lockslock 14
Thumb Photograph of Marple from Posset Bridge at Lock 13 The photograph above, dating from the turn of the last century, shows the view from Posset bridge looking towards the centre of Marple. What is no... Unknown the navigationposset bridgemarple locksLock 13
Thumb Photograph of Black Wharf and Brick Row at Lock 12 The great old picture of Black Wharf below is very interesting as you can see Brick Row, built by Oldknow for his workers, in the background to the... Unknown marple lockslock 12
Thumb Photograph of Tollgate Cottage close to ruin in 1955 at Lock 10 Alongside Lock 10 stands Tollgate Cottage. You'd never realise by looking at it today but this delightful building was close to ruin in 1955. It wa... From 1 Jan 1955 to 31 Dec 1955 marple lockslock 10
Thumb Photograph of Oldknow's warehouse at Lock 9 Access to Oldknow's warehouse was by both road and canal. Much of the raw materials needed in his mill and the goods made there would have been tra... Unknown marple lockslock 9
Thumb Photograph of Lock Keepers Cottage at Lock 9 The cottage alongside Lock 9 is another former lock-keeper's cottage and now a listed building. The owners have put a lot of effort into restoring ... Unknown marple lockslock 9
Thumb Photograph of Lock 8 before bridge widening The view looking towards Bridge number 17 and Lock 9 has not changed enormously since the canal was first built, although the bridge itself has bee... Unknown marple lockslock 8
Thumb Photograph of workmen on Lock 7 This photograph of men working on Lock 7. The picture perhaps dates from the 1930/40s Unknown canalmarple lockslock 7
Thumb Photograph of Glen Cottage Lock 6 At lock 6 there used to be a lock-keeper's cottage called Glen Cottage but it was demolished during the 1960's. This picture is from the early 1900... Unknown canallock 6marple locksglen cottage
Thumb Photographs of before and after Lock 1 clearing 1967 These before and after photographs of Lock 1, taken from the 1967 Marple Rally of Boats programme, illustrate how badly the condition of the locks ... From 1 Jan 1967 to 31 Dec 1967 canalmarple locksLock 1